The Harris Experience is a programme for the most able secondary school students across the Harris Federation. It broadens students’ cultural and academic experiences to give them outstanding preparation for some of the country’s top universities, including Oxford and Cambridge.
It is aimed at years 9 – 11 with the programme spanning over the three years for each cohort. It consists of a range for bespoke classes within the Academy, taking students beyond the curriculum and aiming to develop further their ability to think independently and critically.
Year 10 students enjoying a day out at Cambridge university as part of the Harris Experience.
Students are also exposed to a wide range of cultural experiences including special events at Christie’s auctioneers, visits to the Royal Opera House, science events at Imperial College and bespoke lectures at the University of Oxford. Find out more about the Harris Experience.
Harris Experience Advanced: Years 12-13
Harris Experience Advanced is a Russell Group application programme providing expert guidance and individually-tailored academic opportunities for our most able sixth formers.
The programme is aimed at our most academic students who have achieved outstanding grades at GCSE or who prove themselves to be making outstanding academic progress early in Year 12 and maintain this throughout their sixth form life.
The programme comprises:
- several whole group sessions
- academic tracking
- trips and masterclasses
- university visits
- subject-specific societies to support academic stretch with subject specialist guides
- an Oxbridge programme
- a medical/dentistry programme
- weekly bulletins and follow-up on a wealth of academic opportunities outside of school
- guidance on writing very competitive applications to Russell Group universities
- interview practice and advice
- learning mentors for Oxbridge.
1. Our students at the Oxford Union library, University of Oxford.
2. Our students in the Union Debating Chamber at the University of Oxford.
3. Our students outside the Radcliffe Camera, an iconic Oxford landmark (a working library, part of the central Bodleian Library complex, home to the History Faculty Library).
4. Year 10 trip to the University of Cambridge
5. Year 12 participating in the careers programme ‘Take the Lead’, run by The Old Vic Theatre